Nickelodeon's 2009 Kids' Choice Awards is Biggest Ever!
Shatters All Records with Kids, Tweens, Total Viewers
Almost 8 Million Total Viewers Tune in to Watch Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Black, iCarly, American Idol, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Jonas Brothers, Beyoncé and Twilight Nab Honors at Star-Studded Awards Show
Record-Breaking 91 Million Votes Cast across Nick's Digital Platforms, Leading Nick.com to Highest Trafficked Day Ever in Visits, Uniques and Page Views
New York – March 30, 2009 – Nickelodeon's 2009 Kids' Choice Awards (KCAs) set a big, slime-induced record on Saturday, March 28, (8-9:30 p.m. ET/PT), becoming the biggest KCAs to date with a record 7.7 million total viewers (P2+) and its highest ratings ever among kids and tweens. Hosted by Dwayne Johnson, this year's KCAs marked the fourth straight year of growth for the awards show.
The celebrity slime-fest scored the most votes in the show's history — a record 91 million — and led Nick.com to its highest trafficked day ever in unique visitors, site visits and page views.
Highlights of Nickelodeon's 2009 Kids' Choice Awards include:
- This year's show scored its biggest overall audience ever! A record-breaking 7.7 million total viewers (P2+) tuned into the slimiest Kids Choice Awards yet, marking the fourth consecutive year of growth with this demographic.
- The live telecast earned its biggest kids 2-11 audience ever — an 11.0/3.8 million K2-11 — trumping last year's show, the previous record holder.
- This year's show was the highest-rated and most-watched with kids 6-11, averaging a 14.2/3.0 million K6-11.
- The show averaged a record 13.7/2.9 million T9-14 — its highest rating ever with tweens — and posted gains of +10% over last year.
- A record 4.6 million households (a 4.7 rating) tuned into the show.
- More votes than ever were cast for this year's KCAs. A record 91.1 million votes were cast (3/2/09-3/28/09) across Nickelodeon's platforms Nick.com, Nicktropolis, TurboNick, UPickDaily, and Nick's mobile website.
- Nick.com celebrated its highest trafficked day ever on March 28, driven by visits to the KCA site, which increased to 2.6 million (up +27% over last year's KCAs). Unique visitors totaled 2.2 million (+31%) with 37 million page (+37%).
Nickelodeon's 2009 Kids' Choice Awards featured a star-studded telecast including celebrity participants such as: Cameron Diaz — last year's "Wanna Be" winner — who presented the first-ever Big Green Help award to Leonardo DiCaprio; Paula Abdul, David Archuleta; Miranda Cosgrove; Chase Crawford; Miley Cyrus; Zac Efron; Shia LaBeouf; George Lopez; Keke Palmer; Chris Pine; Amy Poehler; Queen Latifah; Emma Roberts; Chris Rock; Ben Stiller; Alex Wolff; Nat Wolff and included rousing performances by the Pussy Cat Dolls ("Jai Ho", "When I Grow Up") and the Jonas Brothers ("Burnin' Up" and "SOS").
The 2009 Kids' Choice Awards were followed by the highly anticipated premiere of the CGI-animated series The Penguins of Madagascar (Saturday, March 28, 9:30 p.m. [ET/PT]), which broke records as the most-watched series premiere in Nickelodeon's history, drawing 6.1 total million viewers (P2+) and delivering the biggest kids 6-11 for an animated series premiere on Nick. Additionally, it was the best new series premiere performance ever with tweens.
Nickelodeon, now in its 30th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products online, recreation, books, magazines and feature films. Nickelodeon's U.S. television network is seen in more than 98 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 14 consecutive years. For more information or artwork, visit www.nickpress.com. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).